Sunday, April 24, 2011

Owls Roost Rumble, NC - April 2011


This year Keith decided to run the Owls Roost Rumble again along with Keith and Kim.  Keith and I had been ever so slightly training for this the preceding couple of months.  The run is a 1/2 marathon in Greensboro, NC.  Keith and I drove out in his car quite early and Shawna was to meet us after the race.  Kim drove up from Charlotte to meet us so the 3 of us could do the trail run together.  Kim decided that she wanted to run with the boys and not behind with the girls, which ultimately meant that within 5 minutes of the run Kim pulled ahead of the Keiths and was not seen again until the end! 

Keith and I stayed together for the first few miles, then I pushed ahead - which in retrospect was a poor idea.  I was feeling good so started pounding the hills...the downside of which was that at mile 12 I could barely walk (never mind run) and limped/hobbled the last mile.  Of course 500 feet from the finish I picked it up a little bit so that I was not too embarrassing running over the finish line.  There, I saw Shawna chatting with Kim who had by this time already cooled down, stretched, and was busy chatting away.  Our friend Keith arrived later, in time for some of the freebie pizza and snacks.


Keith, Kim and Keith - Finished at Last!

Shawna jumped in Kim's van and I followed behind as we headed to Charlotte while Keith went back to Durham.  A couple of hours later we were at Kim and Tom's house.  Keith had a nap while Shawna chatted with Kim and Tom.  We headed out to dinner at Roosters, preceded by drinks (Kim and Tom had a sitter for the night).  Breakfast on the Sunday was on the patio, then Shawna and I headed home to catch up on some errands in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment